1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Monday, January 30, 2017

Feeling The Pressure of Compressor Installation



I thought I'd start out with a soothing winter scene.  This is the view from my front porch this morning.  We had a light snowfall overnight that left a very scenic view.  Now, on to the news.

Once again, in keeping with the intent of this blog, to report the good, the bad and the ugly in my restoration adventure, this post has it all...!

First the good.  My beast of a compressor is now a runner!  As proof, I offer the following short video clip:


It's pretty loud in the background of this clip.  The audio is so loud, because the installation instructions directed me to run the compressor for 30 minutes with the valves wide open.  After the 30 minute break in period, you close the valves and let it build up pressure until the cut off switch turns off the compressor.  All in all, it worked perfectly.

Second, the bad:  I bought this compressor in December of...wait for it...2011.  Yes, it took me 5 years to get around to having an electrician actually hook it up to the breaker panel.

Lastly, the ugly.  Why the heck did it take me 5 years to get the bloody thing hoked up?!?  Well, like most everything else in life, there is no single answer.  Mostly, though, it was just everyday life.  As I've mentioned in other posts, I tend to be pretty busy, so I just didn't miss it.  Now, I've got a 1953 Chevy pickup truck with the bed full of stuff that needs to be blasted clean so it can be painted and reinstalled on the truck.  So it finally became a need.

No matter.  It's still mine and now it's hooked up, fully functional and ready for when I've got the time to work on the truck.  I have to say, too, it's pretty impressive.

The specs:

5 HP motor
80 gallon tank
15.5 CFM flow at 90 psi
100% duty cycle (since I'm using the synthetic oil)

I'm pretty sure it'll handle whatever I can throw at it at the moment.  Maybe down the road, when I tear it apart for the frame off restoration, that sand blasting will test it.  But until then, I feel pretty comfortable doing whatever I need that requires compressed air.

Once I start doing some blasting, I'll post some before and after pics.

That's all for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.