1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Friday, August 11, 2017

Sometimes It's Not Glamorous, Sometimes It's Just Mundane

Gray Ghost Fans!  Today was one of those days out in the garage.  I got a couple of items off of the punch list, but none of it was glamorous.  Not even a little.

So what did I do today?  Well, let me tell you!  I got ground wires installed for each tail light.  I got the foot operated dimmer switch installed.  I got the location figured out and prepped for the under-dash ground wires (I still need a long enough bolt, so that isn't really finished).  I got the 3rd brake light wire enclosed in the split wire loom from the frame rail, through a frame section and up between the cab and bed of the truck.  I got the negative battery cable removed from the truck.  I got the defroster ducts removed, the metal vents scrubbed and new hoses installed.  And, I got the absolute last of the old wires untangled and out of the truck.  All in all, a lot of work, just none of it exciting enough to make people go:  WOW!  However, all of it necessary.  No fluff.

Now, what's the implication of all of this?  I am closing in on the end of the wiring harness installation.  So, while I was under the truck fiddling around with the 3rd brake wire, I had to take some time and figure out a few things.  First, I figured out the routing for the electronic speedometer wires.  Essentially, they will follow the same path as the "rear of the truck" wires down the firewall, past the gear shift levers for the 3 on the tree shifter and down to the transmission.  It's actually a pretty straight path.

Second, I spent a minute looking at how the transmission and bellhousing are bolted to the truck. The next task after installation of the wire harness is removal of the old engine and transmission! So it really is time to start thinking about how this is going to work.

Now, there is no way that I can have a post without a photo of something Gray Ghost related.  So here's a shot of the defroster vents and the old hoses and new hoses for comparison.


So there you have it.  Often times its the grunt work that makes or breaks your project.  Today was one of those days.  Glad I got it done and time to move onto something else.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.