1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Friday, September 22, 2017

DASH(ing) To The End Of This Phase

Hello Gray Ghost Fans!

I had another productive couple of hours in the garage today, reassembling parts of the dash! For anyone that's watched a construction crew build a road, you'll understand when I say that this process seems a lot like that.  Meaning, it seems like all they do is move dirt around for months on end and then VOILA!, a road appears out of thin air, usually overnight.  This process that I've gone through is a lot like that.  Seemed like I wasn't really doing much of anything and then BAM!, I'm bolting on a bunch of really cool looking stuff, seemingly overnight.

To that end, I do think a quick reminder of where we started is in order.  So here is the Gray Ghost dash area the day that I brought her home:


This, of course, is the somewhat infamous and definitely hysterical photo of the dash area showing how the seller of the truck spray painted everything gray primer.  I think it was an attempt to hide some of the rust.  I really liked how he didn't even take the time to empty the ashtray of pencils and butts before spraying!  I'm guessing it might have scared off most people, but this was pushing my financial limit at the time, so I went for it.  There have been quite few man hours cleaning all that up. But frankly, I loved every minute of it, minus the stinky mouse pee minutes (see:  Rusty Mouse Pee and a Stinky Cab for more details).

So where am I now?  Here's a shot looking at the restored steering wheel and horn button installed:


Oh this shot gives away quite a bit!  Look at what's hiding to the right of the quad gauge.  Yup, the restored speaker grill and top and bottom trim pieces!  Of course, the black backing piece is now done and is also installed behind the grill.  Here are a couple of shots of those pieces before I installed them:

Speaker Grill (Front)

Speaker Grill (Back)

Trim Pieces Dry Fit

Ashtray

Installed

So, as things typically go for me, when I got to installing the glove box door, the screws that mount the hinges to the dash were no where to be found.  Now, I've tried really hard to make sure to bag and tag everything!  Somehow, these were misplaced.  So, I looked at them closely and figured them to be #10 size.  I had some #10 machine screws in my collection so I tried them out. They were the right size, but the wrong thread count.  Mine were #10-24 and I needed #10-32. So, off to Lowe's, again. Once I got home it was 10 minutes work to disassemble the hinges from the door, install the hinges in the dash and then reconnect the glove box door to the hinges.

And now for that money shot.  You've seen the before, now here's the after:


I simply couldn't be happier!  A clean, whole, semi-restored dash.  So I'm sure some of you are wondering why semi-restored.  Kinda a lot of work for only semi.  That's true, but there was method to my madness.  The goal was to make the interior pleasant for while I'm driving it.  Even though the exterior will be ratty until I get around to the frame off restoration, I didn't want to be in a ratty vehicle.  Old yes, but ratty interior, no.  I know, the rusty heater is clearly visible in the last shot.  It too will get restored.  Sooner rather than later, I assure you, but it wasn't necessary to do that right now.  Everything is accessible from under the dash or the other side of the firewall, so the dash could be buttoned up.  Plus, I'll let you all in on a little secret...there is no actual glove box installed yet.  If you open the glove box door, it is still a gaping hole.  So, now harm, no foul.

What does this all mean?  It means that it's time to get that battery tray and ground strap finished up so I can test those circuits and start work on the tranny removal.  Oh dear!  Sounds like it's rapidly becoming time for the hardcore mechanical stuff....

Now, Gray Ghost fans, if you have gotten this far in the post, you may notice that there are some buttons just below here where you can register whether or not you liked what I've posted.  It is completely anonymous.  All that I see is that someone checked a box.  I really would like to get some feedback from those that have read the post (or any of my posts).  It only takes a second and won't give you away.  I promise!

That's all for now.  Until next time:  "Let's be careful out there."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.