1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Sunday, October 6, 2019

The Transformation Begins!

Hello Gray Ghost Fans!

I've got exciting news!  It's day 3 of my weekend!  While that is great news, it's not what I'm writing about!  Although, it is what got me the extra time in the garage.  How did I use this extra time?  Starting the transformation of the engine from one that drove an automatic transmission to one that will power a manual transmission!  I've talked about it a lot, and now I'm finally getting to it.  Where did this road begin?  Here:


The engine, as it sat in the 1961 Impala in the local junkyard.


"Surgically" removed from the Impala and strapped down in my 93 Chevy truck.


On a cradle in the garage.


Turning the cradle into a run stand.


Run stand completed.


Fan from a Honda Civic, salvaged from the same junkyard.  Now the test stand is complete.


Time passes...other things get done...life goes on...


A pop quiz is added to the blog (see last post for quiz) and the pilot bushing is added to the crankshaft.  Spoiler!


The starter is removed.


Automatic transmission flexplate and adapter plate before removal.



Flexplate gone.

Adapter plate gone...


Restored bell housing installed!
(GM calls it the clutch housing)


Refinished flywheel ready for installation.


Rear of flywheel showing timing BB painted white and layout of firing order next to ring gear.


New motor mounts installed, although only hand tightened right now.

Quite a transformation, I must say.  However, only cosmetic to this point.  I was concerned that the flywheel wouldn't fit under the clutch housing, while the engine was on the stand.  I was correct.  Once I figured out that it wouldn't fit without lifting the engine in the rear, I was too tired and it was too late in the day to continue.  So I called it a day.  Next time, I'll torque down the rear motor mounts shown above and use them as a hoisting point to raise the rear of the engine a bit.  I don't need much room, maybe 2 inches...then I'll be able to maneuver the flywheel into place and be able to bolt it down.  Once the flywheel is in place, I'll remount the starter and reconnect those electrical connections that I figured out in my last post.  From there, I'll add the new clutch assembly and reinstall the transmission.  Once that is done...it's time for that engine to go into the truck!  I'm literally one good garage session away from being ready to install the engine in the truck!

It's been a long time coming.  That first picture above was taken in August 2010.  Yes, I know what you're thinking.  This guy moves about as fast as pond water.  You may be right!  But when I really work at it, I can make some progress.  In fact, it's all the off topic work that makes these work sessions go so fast.  Examples are documented in earlier (sometimes much earlier) posts, where I talk about getting the clutch housing hot tanked and then doing the painting myself or getting the heavy duty flywheel in an auction and finding a 90 year old machinist that would resurface it for me.  All of those things were done, literally, years ago and the finished products were stored in my basement.  All of them waiting for the day.  Today.

I'll get another 3 day weekend in two weeks.  Apart from the joy of having a 3 day weekend, I'll likely get some time to raise up the rear of the engine and get that flywheel installed.  From there, it's just a hop, skip and a jump to engine transplant day!  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I saw your post about the front brakes and currently having an issue with a project. The front drums are about an inch from covering the shoes and i feel like I've got the wrong drums. Do you happen to have a part number or where you ordered yours from? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The build is looking great! Thanks for your time

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.