1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Replacement Engine

The engine that came in the truck supposedly ran, but was misfiring on a cylinder.  When I removed the pushrod cover, I discovered why it was "misfiring"...








As you can see, the lifter and pushrod on cylinders 1 and 6 are rusted together and/or rusted to the block.  The water got in through the breather holes Chevy built into the valve cover and drained down through the oil passages until it pooled around the lifters and pushrods.




I decided that instead of trying to rebuild this engine, I would look for a junkyard engine that might be in better shape.

After several trips to the junkyard, I found a 1961 Impala with a Chevy inline 6 235, which is a direct bolt in replacement.  I was able to turn the motor by hand, so I knew it wasn't seized.  I bought it and the cast iron powerglide that was attached to it.  Here is the 235 as it sat in the Impala:





Although this engine will be a bolt on replacement, there are some differences that I will have to deal with.  First, the truck is set up for a 6 volt electrical system.  The Impala was set up for a 12 volt electrical system.  Both systems used generators and both systems are negative ground systems.  So I have the choice of taking the currently installed 6v generator and installing it onto the replacement engine or I can change out the fuses and light bulbs in the truck to 12v and add voltage reducers for the gauges, heater and fuel tank sender (or replace them with 12v versions) or I could change the generator to an alternator and make the bulb/fuse/reducer changes.

We'll cover that decision in the engine revival posts....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.