1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Old Grommets and New Wires

Yesterday was a big day in the garage, Gray Ghost fans!  It marked the beginning of the new wire harness installation.  In preparing for the installation, I read and reread the installation instructions and tried to match up as much of the wiring and associated hardware as possible.  Here is the stuff before I spread it out as I prepped:


What I have is a Speedway Motors universal wire harness, Rebel Wiring headlight relay and a period correct turn signal switch.  Also visible are the wire harnesses and sensor connectors for my New Vintage gauges!  A sharp eye will also catch the LED flashers in the box.  I have to switch to those because I'm using LED bulbs in the turn signals and tail lights.

I had already decided that I would route all of the wires using the factory locations.  That helped me locate where I had to place the new fuse holder.  I ended up using one of the old fuse holder holes and drilling out the second hole for the other attaching bolt.  However, prior to attaching the fuse holder, I had a lot of wires to pull through those grommets.  Inside the engine compartment, it looked like this:


On the right, you can see most of the engine compartment wires.  There are still a couple of engine related wires to install, but they will likely wait until after the engine swap is done.  The engine compartment wires include headlight wires, ignition wires and brake light wires.  The wires on the left are rear of the truck wires and include tail light wires and third brake light wires.  I ran them in some split wire loom, to protect them, through the factory locations.

Inside the cab, the wires are just kinda roughed in at the moment.  It currently looks like this:


Since this photo was taken, I've decided to rotate the fuse block.  It made more sense to put it that way, since it put the wires exiting the fuse block pointing towards the firewall holes.  It also gave me some more slack on the dome light wires.  Yesterday, when I ran those wires, they came up a bit short of the required location.  It looked like this:



In this pic you can see that I used the old wire as fish tape and was able to pull the new wires up from the under dash area, through the A pillar and to the channel above the door and to the rear of the truck. That is the factory routing.  Even with the extra slack, I think I'll be a bit short and will have to extend them.  So far, that is the only issue that I've encountered with the Speedway harness.  Overall, I've been very impressed with the harness.  The wire colors follow the GM convention and are labeled every foot or so.  The instruction sheets are pretty thorough and easy to follow.  Now, the aftermarket turn signal switch was another story....  Those instructions left a little to be desired.  I think I've got it figured out, but I won't know for sure until I put power to the new system.  That is some time away.

Next on the agenda is to get the wires into their final, factory locations and to make each of the wire connections.  That will probably take some time as I want to take my time and do it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.