1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Brake Line Installation Begins Today

Today I started installing the brake lines.  This is a complete replacement of the brake lines.  The only parts that are being reused are the junction blocks and banjo bolts.  I am replacing the copper washers that go on either side of the junction blocks, though.  I started in the rear of the truck and am working my way forward.  I'm to the junction block that separates the front and rear wheels.  I haven't removed that brake line yet, so that is where I stopped.  Here are some before and after pics.

Right rear before replacement:





Right rear after replacement:


Differential with brake line before replacement:


Differential with brake line after replacement:


Left rear wheel before replacement:


Left rear wheel after replacement:


You can see that the banjo bolt has not been attached to the left rear wheel yet.  Somehow, I managed to lose the copper washers that I need to reattach the banjo bolt and junction block to the wheel cylinder.  So I'll run by the auto parts store and get some more.  They'll need to be annealed before I use them, but that only takes a few minutes to do.  In this pic, you can see that the replacement brake lines come from the manufacturer with rubber covers installed on all of the fittings.  This is good, because you are sure that nothing has gotten into the brake lines that might clog them up.  The color or the cover also identifies the size of the fitting.  The gray ones are 3/8" in diameter.  There is a brown covered one in the kit, too.  That attaches to the master cylinder and is slightly larger than the rest, I just don't remember how large it is right now.  You'll also note that the wheel cylinder came with a plug, for the same purpose.  Quite an improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.