1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Who Wants A Flaming Rat's Nest?

Today was a milestone...I was able to get the exhaust system off of the engine that is installed in the old truck and it's still in one piece.  I was hopeful that I could get it off in one piece so that I could reuse it when I transplant the running engine into the truck.  I plan on temporarily attaching it to the engine on the test stand, the next time I run that engine, to see how it sounds.  I do think it would be kinda funny to shoot an old flaming rat's nest out of the tailpipe when I hook it up, but I'm more concerned with how it will sound.  The old exhaust system is a single pipe with what looks like an old glass pack attached.  It is too rusty on the outside to see any markings, but the metal is such a heavy gauge, that there is no rust through.  It is a very solid pipe!

Also today, I was able to remove the studs that attach the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold on the running engine.  That wasn't an easy task either, but I managed to get them both out without breaking the studs off or mangling the threads in the manifold.  So I'll replace the studs, get a new gasket for the pipe and I should be off and running for the test of the old pipe.  I can't wait!  I'll definitely shoot some video when I run it with the old pipe attached.

That's all for now.

PS, The pipe that was in the old truck put up a pretty good fight.  I tried to finesse it out by using tons of penetrating oil, but to no avail.  When I got the socket wrench onto the first stud, it seemed to be turning.  Turns out, it was shearing off.  So one stud broken, on to the next one. That one would not budge, period.  So after climbing under the truck and into the engine bay, more times than I care to mention, I finally broke down and got out the Dremel with a cut off wheel. Not one of the little ones, but one of their newer design beefy ones.  I'm pretty sure that was some kind of hardened steel, because I went through a cut off wheel and a grinding wheel before I was able to break the nut in half and have the pipe fall away free.  All told, it took me 4 hours to break the pipe free and get the studs out.  Lots of work, for what may seem like only a little progress. But in my mind, a huge leap forward, as I've been wanting to do this job and thinking about this job for months.  Getting it done clears the way for actually doing the engine swap in the future. It's not the only job to get me ready for the swap, but it was an important one and one I can check off my list.

I'm not sure that I believe in spirits interacting with us mortals, but if they do, I'm pretty sure the previous owner of this truck is ticked off at me for working on it.  Anything and everything (and I do mean everything) that could have gone wrong today did.  It's like the old man (or woman) doesn't want anyone else to drive the truck.  This time, I won.  It took brute force and a couple of abrasive wheels for the Dremel and then a deadblow hammer and mondo screwdriver, but that pipe came out! Score one for the living!  I really wish he'd work with me and not against me.  Who knows, maybe he'll come around when he sees I really like the truck and respect it for what it is....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.