1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Thursday, March 19, 2015

AWP no more!

Well, the pork chops came through and I am no longer AWP (awaiting parts)!  I now have enough material on hand to replace all of the brake lines from the master cylinder to each of the wheel cylinders, plus the internal parts to rebuild the rear brakes.  I probably should have ordered the materials to do the front brakes at the same time that I ordered the rear brake rebuild materials, but I haven't had the front wheels off of the truck and was unsure of what was required.  I know it would have saved me a ton on shipping, but I wanted to be sure before I bought the materials. Hindsight will tell me if I was right to wait or not.

Anyway, here is what I have so far:


Brake hard lines on the left, brake shoes on top, brake shoe attaching hardware + springs, front wheel cylinders, brake hoses and the master cylinder.

1.  Brake lines:  These are the replacement lines that I got from Jim Carter Truck Parts.  This is the complete set that fits my specific truck.  As you can see, they are prebent and have the correct fittings already attached.  The line with the horseshoe bend is the line that runs down the frame rail of the truck and is bent for shipping purposes.  It will need to be straightened before installation.


2.  The brake shoes:  Believe it or not, my FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) had them in stock.  I actually got them while they were on sale!  They included a core charge, which will require me to return the old ones....

New ones:



The cores to be returned look like this....

 

Not sure what they do with them, but it gets me $6 back, so worth the stop when I'm out and about.

3.  Brake shoe attaching hardware + springs:  I got these from Chev's of the 40's.  They were the only ones that had everything in one place.


Here you can see the star wheel adjusting devices, the wheel cylinder to brake shoe connecting rods, the brake shoe attaching hardware and the brake shoe springs. Hopefully I haven't overlooked something!

4.  Wheel cylinders and brake hoses:  I got these from Classic Industries.  The hoses are a bit confusing, because they are different shapes, but all say that they can be used on front or rear. My thoughts here are to match what I take off of the truck with what I have on hand.  Once again, hopefully I haven't overlooked something or purchased the wrong thing.


The 2 wheel cylinders in the pic are for the front.  They are specific to each side of the truck, while the rear cylinders can be used on either side.

4.  Master cylinder:  I got this from Classic Industries.  It is a bolt on replacement.  As I noted in an earlier post, I've removed and cleaned the clevis, clevis pin, jam nut and cotter pin from the existing master cylinder and attached them to the replacement master cylinder.




So that covers all of the parts that I purchased to rebuild the brake system.  I will be reusing the old junction blocks that the brake lines and hoses attach to, as there is nothing wrong with the old ones and it saves me close to $100 !  No point throwing money away.

I'm hoping to get out into the garage this weekend and start the removal of the old equipment and installation of the new!  I'll have another post on that and lots of before and after pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.