1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Don't Over Rev an Engine on the Test Stand! (And Other Good News)

Well, the good news first...the engine doesn't seem the worse for wear after what I've now been told was over revving an engine that had no load applied.  My stovebolt mates made that clear in response to my post.  So, I'll guess I'll have to wait until the engine is in the truck and physically moving it (i.e., under load) before I can see if the rings will reseat and if the engine will stop burning oil.

More good news:  the Starfire tach seems to be shaking off the dust and working better today than yesterday.  Today, it was running about 1/3 behind where the Sunpro II tach is running.  That is what was expected.  So, an adapter should make it work just fine for the counting rpm's on the 235!

I noticed yesterday, that as I ran the gas tank dry, the idle of the 235 improved greatly.  So today, after bringing it up to operating temps, I readjusted the idle to make the mixture more lean.  It seemed to run better but was puffing tons of white smoke, which was really steam.  So I'm concerned that the head gasket will need replacing.  I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse.  I'll also pull the plugs to see if one (or more) of them is cleaner than the rest. One plug that is cleaner than the rest would indicate where the head gasket is leaking.  On the bright side, I have no indication of water in the oil, which would also point to a failed head gasket.

That's all for this weekend as I've got a jungle of a yard that needs cutting.  That'll be my day tomorrow.

OBTW, there really wasn't any bad news.  Just me getting scolded for over revving, but I can take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.