1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brake Spring Seating Corrected

The spring seating on the rear brakes was questioned by the members of my truck forum.  They looked like this:

Right Rear:


Left Rear:


The right rear had the secondary shoe return spring intertwined with the primary shoe return spring. It has since been seated correctly and looks like this:


The secondary shoe spring on the left rear brake appeared to barely be seated on the post.  So I took it off, manipulated the butterfly so that it sat more fully on the back of the post and reseated the secondary shoe spring.  The change was less dramatic than the change on the right rear, so I didn't bother to take a picture.  It does, however, sit a little better on the post.  I also bent the end of the spring around the post a little.  Not sure if it will help hold it or not, or if it is needed.

Also last week, I went out and got a new brake spring tool.  As I mentioned in last week's post, the nub on the spring removal side had bent inwards and was rendered inoperative.  So I went to Sears and got a Craftsman version.  It is a lot beefier, all around and looks like this:


The spring removal end looks like this:





Comparing old and new, the differences are obvious:





So, I'm sticking with my assessment from last week.  Avoid the brake multi tool from the flaps (it seems like they all sell the same version of this tool) and just get the better tool.  The Craftsman version cost $18.00, but held up to removing the springs where the first one did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.