1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Sunday, July 12, 2015

A Dash of Dash (Panel Trim)

Here's the last of the quick hitting projects, some dash panel trim and the radio delete panel and attaching bolts.  Once again, here's what it looked like installed in the truck when I got it home:


It's kinda hard to tell from the pic, but there is an upper piece of trim, a lower piece of trim and the slotted piece is actually the radio speaker grill.  The 2 pieces of trim hold the grill in place and the ashtray mounts into the grill.  Here are the pieces after disassembly and sanding:


These were sanded and primed 5 years ago.  Also, because these pieces are actually made up of several pieces of metal, they are hollow.  To get the rust out of the inside, I used Evapo-Rust.  I soaked the parts in the Evapo-Rust until all of the rust was gone.  After it was gone, I rinsed the parts off, dried them with a hair dryer until I was sure that the insides were completely dry.  When I was sure that they were completely dry, I poured paint down the inside to coat the entire inside. It was an attempt to seal the inside surface and prevent rusting again.  After that, I was able to prime and paint the underside.  It looked like this:


(Sorry, I don't know why the pic is rotated, but I can't get it to go the right way....)

I did not do anything to the underside of the radio delete plate, as it wasn't rusted.  Fast forward 5 years and I taped off the backs of the pieces and painted the fronts.  It now looks like this:


Here are the undersides after painting:


That's all for now.  Apparently Photobucket has gone insane.  Pics that look fine there are now rotated here.  Not sure what is going on, but hope it gets resolved quickly!

I'm going to order the vinyl letters for the upper piece of trim.  For 1953 they were white.  When I order those, I'll also order the dome light gasket and some other odds and ends that I need. Trying to make the shipping costs more economical.  Also, I still have the radio speaker grill and the glove box door to work on.  Those still have some rust on them, so they are not yet ready for primer or paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.