1953 chevy truck ad

1953 chevy truck ad

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Yeah!

Here's another quick post on a quick project that I started about 5 years ago and finished yesterday. The horn button!  Pretty simple, huh?  Here it is as it sat in the truck when I got it:


Here it is after I took it out of the truck 5 years ago:


A quick sanding and some primer got it to this stage:


Then time passes....  It sits on a shelf in the basement....  Now that I found a close match to the interior paint in a rattle can, it's time to finish what I started.  Here's the result:



The underside is painted, too, except for the center of the button, which is necessary for contact with the switch.

I'll let the paint cure for a couple of days.  Then it's back to the shelf, although packed away this time. I had toyed with the idea of highlighting the letters and decorative bars in an ivory color, but am now leaning against the idea.  I had a mild incident while painting the button.  A small piece of debris somehow found its way onto the button and dinked up the paint.  I had to wait for it to dry, lightly sand off the debris (used 220 grit with a very light touch) and then respray it.  Turned out well and I don't think that you can see where I sanded and resprayed it.  So all's well that ends well, but I don't want to mess it up again trying to make the letters stand out.  That wouldn't be a quick fix....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, tips or questions. I'll try to post a response as quickly as possible.